Subscribe in iTunes!
Listen on your Smart Phone in Stitcher!
Feature Interview with SpeedInc Head Tuner Jim Moran:
Everything It Takes to Tune an LS!
In this episode John and I had the chance to do some serious digging on the ever popular and confusing topic of tuning a motor.
We decided to ask Jim Moran on the show, as he’s the Head Tuner from Speed Inc. near Chicago and has personally tuned about 5 of John’s cars. During the show we asked Jim a million different tuning questions, and if you’ve ever wanted to know what every single table inside your ECM is and why it’s there (and what it does), Jim is your man!
Here are a few questions that we hit him:
1) How do you determine the best A/F ratio’s for a setup? Is there a lot of trial and error, or is it fairly scientific?
2) What tables are available to modify? Timing curves, fuel mappings, etc.
3) Is it more difficult to tune a VVT motor (like an L92) than a non VVT? Can they work with manual transmissions (something GM never did)?
4) Are aftermarket ECM’s worth the money, or should you stick with a GM unit?
5) If we swap a donor motor into an older car, how do we get the initial tune on it before it goes to your shop?
6) Are aftermarket intakes and throttle bodies necessary for motors making less than 600 HP?
7) How do you find the “magic” tune for a specific car? What all info do you need about it’s application (street, track, weight, gearing, etc.) first?
Thanks for the interview, Jim!
WIN $750 FROM CPG!
The Prize Segment sponsored by the COMP Performance Group is back, and it’s back BIG! Entrants can enter to win a HUGE $750 gift certificate that will be awarded quarterly, and there are two ways to enter:
- Go to www.themusclecarplace.com/contest and fill out the details there to enter the contest. Be sure to use the links in the contest to share it on Facebook, Twitter, and your own websites. For everyone that joins the contest because of your referral, YOU GET MORE ENTRIES!
- Answer the bonus question given out in this podcast show. E-mail your answer to firstname.lastname@example.org for an additional 20 points!
The next winner will be selected March 1, 2013!
– See more at: https://themusclecarplace.com/lsx-podcast-21-copo-camaro-69-sells-for-400000-gm-moves-performance-build-center-to-kentucky-and-beyonces-missing-2014-corvette#sthash.cFAcnJKA.dpuf